View off my back deck this afternoon.
Then I came home and played Eve. The CTA is going well. The invasion of vets into rookie chat has continued. We're being allowed to stay if we are productive. This has been great. Questions are getting fielded rapid fire. We're dragging people into private conversations and hand walking them through their problems.
- People are still getting lost. The entire concept of jumping through stargates clicks for some and not for others.
- There is nothing that tells people how to split stacks.
- Refining doesn't make a lot of sense.
- That mission where they have to make a shuttle and often wind up in another system to make it gets them confused every single time. I'm about to suggest we just drop the damn size of that shuttle down to fit in their rookie ships cargo hold.
- The industry window is maybe locking up on people, maybe not. There are a lot of problems with building that second civilian afterburner. I think they are not delivering their job. Its confusing trying to work it out second hand.
- Double f-ing click in space
- Really, really, really we need a more intuitive skill tree that they can just unfold and look at
- Make sure they have accepted the mission when they can't find what to do
- Bookmarking... they are running off to explore and getting stuck in wormholes
- Finding the agent mission listing is still confusing people. I don't know if they are closing their station services or just not looking for it.
I have also learned that I use almost no short cut keys to do things in the game. The tool tips make my life easier as I mouse over things to see what the short cut is. The few shortcuts I do use I have used so long I have no idea if I am hitting shift or control half the time. Sometimes I flub answers. It is quite the mental exercise at times.
Lots of people want to help. I commend that and appreciate it. However, some need to remember that people are in their first and second and third days. Helping someone through PvE or Mining questions is helping them get into the game so that they can learn other things. I am sure there are some who are day one, out of the gate, "PvP or GTFO" but a lot of people are just trying to master the basic commands and understand how to process the information that is coming in. I have no wish to discourage people who wish to help but I do council patience. It is hard to remember how early into the game they are.
It can be frustrating. I had someone ask how to turn off a sound. I told him to his escape and use that menu to adjust his audio control. He asked again. Someone else said to use the escape menu and explained that pressing escalate brings up a menu. He goes "BUT WHERE DO I TURN THE SOUND OFF!" and we said the audio tab which has sound selections. I don't think that we can do but so much. Maybe make sure the tabs are a bit more distinct from each other? I don't know.
What will be interesting is following this through the week as they learn a little bit more and start spreading their wings. I wonder what the weekend will look like.
For now, I am going to try to take tomorrow off and work on my second Pod and Planet submission. That ends next week and my second story is only a few hundred unfinished words.